Tuesday, March 23, 2010

To cloth...or not to cloth

That is the question.

I've really been considering using cloth diapers with Jace. It's more costly upfront, but it's a lot cheaper over the long run. I've done hours (yes, I'm serious) of research online. I even dreamed about cloth diapers the other night I've looked at them so much! There are so many different kinds of cloth diapers and it's really overwhelming. James is on board with the idea (probably because he doesn't do the laundry!). If we decide to use cloth, we'll still use disposables some too, mainly at daycare.

I'm leaning towards using one size diapers, so they'll last until we're ready to potty train (as long as they're cared for properly). They're adjustable and fit from about 10 to 35 pounds.

I ordered a couple of diapers last week from Kelly's Closet because there is a coupon for a free diaper when you spend $10. So I got a Flip One-Size diaper and it came with the cover and an insert. I like these because you can just replace the insert with a clean one when it's wet or dirty, unless the cover gets dirty too. But you can supposedly just wipe the cover out and reuse it again and again.

The free diaper was a bumGenius All-in-One. These diapers are sized but it's all one piece and you just take the whole diaper off and put on a clean one. It has an insert built in, but there's a pocket in the back where you can put another one in for extra absorbency. I ordered a small, which is for 8 to 16 pounds. BumGenius also makes a one-size diaper that I would like to try.

The coupon is valid until May 31, so if anyone wants to order me some (ha!) the details are here. Just use promo code BGMAGAIO after you add $10 or more in bumGenius, Flip, or Econobum products to your cart. Then add what size and color diaper you want in the comments.

I also want to try Smartipants diapers. These are one size diapers (7 to 35 pounds) with inserts. I plan to order a 3-pack of them to try them out. These are more economical than bumGenius. Smartipants and Flip diapers have snaps and bumGenius is velcro. I feel like the snaps will outlast the velcro but the velcro seems like it would be a more precise fit.

Cloth diapering may not work for us but I still want to give it a try. We'll see how it goes in about 3 months!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the cloth! I wish I would've tried them out!
    yeahexceptfornot.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete